I’m a bit addicted to personal growth, it’s been I life long passion. Every day I always make a commitment for growth in some form or another but what is it all really about? Personal Growth is an ongoing process of developing oneself every day. It is an essential key to success, because as we work on ourselves, we feel more passionate about anything we do generally. It also helps us to become more capable of providing value, be it in – business, social life, finance, relationships, spirituality etc. Working on oneself makes us a better human being.
Few examples to understand it better:
- Learning how to control anger and short temper behaviour
- Learning a new language, a sport, music or an art form
- Learning how to be happy and positive
- Developing new skill which will help for better prospects professionally
Why is Personal Growth Important?
Everyone wants to grow in their life, nobody is perfect. According to Maslow – It is the desire that everybody has ‘to become everything that they are capable of becoming’. In other words, it expands one’s consciousness. It helps in channelizing energies into something more productive and fruitful.
Advantages on working on self –
- Helps in creating a meaningful and satisfying life
- Helps in discovering new skills and talents
- Provides a boost in self-image and self-confidence
- Helps in strengthen old relationship and form new ones.
How to Attain Personal Growth?
Steps to attain a personal growth are given below.
- What are your goals – The first and foremost step is to define goals. The goals can be broadly categorized into four sections.
Example – Let us say if the personal goal is to be healthy, which will help in overall development both personal and professional aspects of life.
- How you intend to achieve them? – What needs to be done to support the goals set.
Example -To be healthy, one needs to be fit. To be fit, one needs to increase the stamina by exercising, running or going to gym. One needs to eat healthy food etc.
- Habits you want to develop – What kind of change would be needed in the daily routine to reach the desired goal.
Example – To wake up early in the morning 5.00AM and exercise to increase stamina.
Stop eating outside/junk food.
- Skills you need to master – What skills one needs to learn, acquire to achieve the set target.
Example – Perseverance, Honesty, Right Attitude.
Determined to wake up at 5 in the morning every day. Honesty to not cheat on junk food. Right Attitude- that being healthy is going to help me progress both personally and professionally.
- Recording and Reviewing the development – It is the most important thing to progress, to track growth. It helps in measuring one’s efforts, energy and time to achieve desired goals. One can keep a daily or weekly planner.
Example – Are we on the track to be healthy by exercising or not eating junk food.
It is possible to start the journey towards personal growth anytime with the right frame of mind and resources. As stated by Jean Vanier “Growth begins when we begin to accept our own weakness.”
In simple words, personal growth means becoming better today than yesterday in all aspects of life.